New Mexico legalized medical cannabis on April 2, 2007, when Governor Bill Richardson signed Senate Bill 523. The passage of the bill allows medical marijuana patients in New Mexico to have access to medical cannabis dispensaries legally if they have a qualifying condition eligible for medical cannabis treatment.
In New Mexico, you need to have a doctor’s recommendation to become a medical marijuana patient and visit medical cannabis dispensaries like Mother Earth Herbs. This can be done through your general practitioner or through doctors throughout the state who specialize in helping medical marijuana patients.
New Mexico medical marijuana patients are legally allowed to possess up to six ounces of usable cannabis (flower) over a 3 month period. Exceptions may be made by having your medical provider submit a letter to the New Mexico Department of Health requesting an increase.
How to Obtain Your New Mexico Medical Marijuana Card
Obtaining your medical marijuana card in New Mexico isn’t as difficult as it sounds. Here are four simple steps to getting your card:
- First, you must obtain a physician’s recommendation from a doctor currently licensed to practice medicine in New Mexico. This can be your primary care physician or a doctor who specializes in helping medical marijuana patients. In order to qualify for the New Mexico medical marijuana program, your doctor must diagnose you with one of the debilitating conditions on the list of qualifying conditions.
- Your doctor will need to fill out a patient recommendation form in order to register you as a medical marijuana patient with the New Mexico Department of Health. Doctors familiar with the medical marijuana program will help you understand the steps you need to take to submit this paperwork correctly.
- You must complete and submit the patient recommendation form to the New Mexico Department of Health, and provide proof that you are a New Mexico resident. This can be done with a New Mexico state ID. You may also provide proof of residency using a passport or other photo ID plus proof of residency, such as a bank statement or electric bill. Your paperwork must be sent to this address:
New Mexico Department of Health
Medical Cannabis Program
PO Box 26110
Santa Fe, NM 87502-6110
- Once your paperwork is received and processed, you will receive a New Mexico medical marijuana card in the mail, usually within six weeks.
- After you receive your medical marijuana card, you can register as a patient with Mother Earth Herbs and shop at our medical marijuana dispensary in Albuquerque, NM.